I use computers to solve problems.
Recent Blug Posts
Thoughts on the ongoing match between AlphaGo and Lee Sedol
A walkthrough of how I added about 1,000 new images to OldNYC.org by building a Manhattan Grid geocoder. This includes photos from intersections which no longer exist, e.g. in areas like the old Gaslight District, which was destroyed to create Stuytown.
I’ve just wrapped up my trip to NIPS 2015 in Montreal and thought I’d jot down a few things that struck me this year: Saddle Points vs Local Minima I heard this point repeated in a talk almost every day. In low-dimensional spaces (i.e. the ones we can...
Fear not, loyal readers, I haven't stopped blogging. I've just been doing it elsewhere.
My latest and greatest side project, which places 40,000 images from the NYPL on a Google Map for your perusal.
- codediff.js, diffing library which backs github-syntax and git webdiff
- pyjsonselect, a fully-conformant implementation of JSONSelect in Python.
- dpxdt (contributor), a screenshot capture and diff tool.
- localturk, an implementation of the Mechanical Turk API which runs on your own machine. Discussed in this blog post
- Sunrise/Sunset Onebox: [sunset nyc]
- Finance Onebox: [goog]
- Statistics Knowledge Panel: [population france]
- Fact Comparisons: [distance from the sun to mars]
- March Madness Onebox
- Entity Comparisons: [olive oil vs margarine]
- Google Correlate, blog post
- Google Flu Trends, international launch blog post
Email: danvdk [at] gmail